Thursday, August 28, 2008

Who's The Punk?

So who’s the ‘little punk’? You? Ha ha!
-A friend, upon being told about my blog.

Thanks, buddy. First of all, air quotes make you look "gay." Everyone knows this. Secondly, the next time I hear you talking about your “jump shot,” I am going to use air quotes. Being a girl, this won’t make me look gay (it’ll just make me look like a bitch, and I can live with that).

But seriously. You don’t know everything about me. Just because you’ve only ever seen the establishment side of me doesn’t mean that I don’t have another one. For example, you have never seen my homicidal psychopath side, and believe me, that could change.

Broken down for your convenience below so that we never have to have this conversation again are the explanations of the two main sides of my personality.

Little Establishment Me:

-I go to work. Consistently. I like it. ‘Nuff said.

-I am somewhat of a financial freak show. Money is one of my favorite topics. Not in a “Let’s compare paychecks” sort of way (that really would make me exceptionally boring). More like in a “let’s get together and talk about retirement plans” kind of way. That’s a fun evening for me! Sometimes other people give me their budgets to look over. That’s just about on par with handing a double-chocolate ice cream cone to a five year old. It makes me that happy.

-I’m totally comfy in a suit. Sometimes I wear one when I don’t have to. Today, as an example.

-I’m very at ease with the idea of authority. Part of that may stem from the fact that I’m in charge a lot.

-I'm annoyingly punctual. Like, to the point where it annoys me. I've tried so many times to be late for work, and the best I've ever managed is 8:50 am.

-My politics tend to lean toward conservative, which is mainly due to my near-fanatical belief in personal responsibility. Live however you see fit; just be prepared to deal with the consequences.

-I like things to be quiet and orderly and clean. Concerts and crowds make me crazy.

-I’ve never done drugs.

-I do give a damn about my reputation.

-Tradition is good, and standard paths are so because they tend to work.

-I can be a total sellout. This is mainly because money is a cool way to make other goals happen.

Okay, Mr. Hyde, what have you got?

Little Punk Me:

-Let’s start with music, the backbone of punk. Some of my favorite bands include: AFI, New York Dolls, Dropkick Murphys, The Descendents, Rancid, Alkaline Trio, Social Distortion, Street Dogs, The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, Bad Religion, The Cramps, Funeral Dress, Goldfinger, Green Day, Misfits, and The Ramones. I have my former roommate to thank for a good 70% of this list.

-I don't like school. Generally speaking.

-I have one tattoo and one non-ear piercing so far. When my life circumstances allow it (i.e., the establishment environment has gone bye-bye for awhile), I would quite like to get another of each, and buzz my hair. I also think eyeliner on (certain) guys is very sexy.

-Ripped jeans, wifebeaters, army boots, etc-- also preferred attire.

-Sometimes I feel the need to shake things up and change my entire life at the drop of a hat. Then I do it.

-I’m a rebel, and there are times when I refuse to take the standard path. I definitely don’t mind being a troublemaker when there’s good reason.

-That whole personal responsibility thing happens to work in both the establishment and the punk world. Since I admit I can be a sellout, it means I’m not a poseur.

-I’m a minimalist. I like being able to fit all of my belongings into a car and I hate lots of stuff. The idea of wandering around the country with no particular destination and crashing on random couches for a year or so holds a very bohemian appeal for me.

-I’m a newly minted vegetarian. Something else that fits handily into both worlds. Many punks are vegetarian. Little known fact.

I’m mainly sticking with the superficial/obvious stuff here. There’s a lot more to both aspects of my personality, but I think you get the idea. I have a foot in both worlds, I can relate just about equally to both worlds, both worlds appeal to me for different reasons.

In other words, dude, your “jump shot” has nothing on my “punk side.”

No comments: